This was an 0-6-0 goods locomotive, built by the North British Locomotive Co at its Queens Park Works, in Glasgow in 1926. It was produced about ½ way though order L821, awarded to North British in 1926.
Order L821 consisted of 25 of these locomotives, carrying works numbers 23456 – 23480, and became part of the LMS company’s standard fleet of 0-6-0 goods tender locomotives, when Henry Fowler was that company’s CME. No fewer than 80 of what became the LMS standard 4F goods engine were built by North British, along with numerous ‘Jinty’ tank engines, and of course, the famous ‘Royal Scot’ class locos. The LMS had a strong supplier/partner relationship with North British in the 1920s, and the orders helped to keep the company in business during the traumatic years of the 1920s and 1930s.
The engines were built at Queens Park Works, because the North British Atlas Works had had to be closed, due the country’s dire economic recession. The railway company too was undergoing significant changes at its works, and in particular, at Crewe, where major re-organisation was under way.
In fact, during the early ‘depression’ years of the 1920s, North British’s Queens Park Works built some 201 locomotives for the LMS, including 7 for the Northern Counties Committee and a batch of 25 0-6-0 pannier tanks for the GWR.
This engine was put to work in 1927 for the LMS, carrying running number 4394, and by 1950 had already completed thousands of miles of service, on its intended work, with coal and mixed wagon loads of main line and branch traffics. After nationalisation, she was renumbered 44394, and was rostered at Mansfield shed (16D), then in one of the final allocations was transferred to Stockport Edgeley (9B) by 1964.